FormIt for Web
You'll need an updated version of Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge (Chromium), or Mozilla Firefox to run FormIt Web.
Other browsers that support WebGL (such as Safari on Mac OS) may work, but are not officially supported.
January 16, 2020
- Fixed an issue where FormIt could stop responding when editing a Group containing geometry that extends far into the horizon.
- Fixed an issue where importing an image would fail.
- Fixed an issue where some Materials would import with an invalid scale, causing a black appearance unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue where Follow Camera and Remove Guest icons failed to display in the Collaboration panel.
- Improved reliability of opening and saving files across BIM 360 Docs accounts and projects in the same session.
- Fixed an issue where space characters would fail to display in the BIM 360 Docs save/export dialog.
- Fixed an issue where exporting an image to BIM 360 Docs would create an invalid image file.
- Fixed an issue where BIM 360 Docs thumbnails could appear as if no geometry was present in the model.
October 30, 2019
- Added the ability to model using smaller units: millimeters, centimeters, and inches.
- Added an interactive tool to adjust the position of materials on surfaces.
- Added a tool to align the camera to the selected face.
- Improved the connection to BIM 360 Docs, including:
- Added thumbnails to the in-app BIM 360 Docs gallery view.
- Added the ability to view FormIt models in the BIM 360 Document Management view.
- Added the ability to import files from BIM 360 Docs.
- Added the ability to navigate nested folders when opening, importing, saving, and exporting to BIM 360 Docs.
- When editing a BIM 360 Docs file, the File menu file list and the application title bar now display a BIM 360 Docs project path.
- Improved the reliability and behavior of the BIM 360 Docs account/project picker interface.
- Improved the Set Location experience, including:
- Added the ability to set the language for map labels.
- Satellite imagery is now saved to the FormIt file, and will no longer require an internet connection to be reloaded when the file is opened.
- Navigating manually to a location and clicking “Import Image” in the Set Location dialog will no longer reset the location pin unexpectedly.
- Importing a satellite image again will now keep the image in the correct position relative to the origin, rather than resetting the position unexpectedly.
- FormIt now interprets a “best match” address when importing satellite imagery without explicitly specifying an address.
- Added animated camera transitions between views and tools like 3D View, Align Camera to Face, Zoom All, and Zoom Selected.
- Zoom All and Zoom Extents now respond accordingly when geometry outside the active Group is hidden.
- Double-clicking on the middle mouse button with geometry selected now uses Zoom Selected instead of Zoom Extents.
- Vastly improved performance when deleting Layers, and when undoing or redoing Layer deletion.
- Fixed an issue where Redo from the Main Sketch would redo operations in the wrong order in some scenarios.
- Fixed an issue where Undo/Redo would unexpectedly affect operations in deleted Groups.
- Fixed an issue where copying and pasting geometry between FormIt sessions could result in the pasted Layers being unexpectedly hidden.
- Fixed an issue where Zoom All or Zoom Selection failed when editing a Group with the context hidden.
- Fixed an issue where Orbit would move the camera in an unexpected path in some scenarios.
- Fixed an issue where the Circle tool would unexpectedly change orientation when the radius was edited in some scenarios.
- Fixed an issue where quick-copying multiple times using the Ctrl key in the Rotate tool could fail or exhibit unexpected behavior.
- Fixed an issue where placing primitive shapes and Content Library objects would exhibit unexpected orientations when the target destination had a custom workplane.
- Fixed an issue where faces would fail to highlight inside a Group when the entire solid body was selected.
- Fixed an issue where Bing Maps would occasionally return an invalid zoom value, causing the Set Location dialog to stop working.
- Fixed an issue where charts and graphs in the Set Location dialog didn’t use the same units as the sketch.
- Fixed an issue where some tool widgets didn’t respond correctly to a cursor hover state.
- Fixed an issue where the cursor icon would fail to update in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where silhouette edges would fail to draw, or would draw in the wrong location, when entering and exiting Group Edit mode.
August 27, 2019
- Fixed an issue where hidden Layers may become unexpectedly visible during modeling.
- Fixed an issue preventing location and satellite imagery workflows in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where entering or exiting Group Edit mode would unexpectedly trigger an "unsaved changes" dialog on app exit.
- Fixed an issue where tooltips failed to display on the context menu.
June 13, 2019
- Added thumbnails to the BIM 360 Docs Gallery.
- Added the ability to adjust more Visual Styles, including ambient brightness, contrast, shadow intensity, and sky/ground plane colors.
- Added the ability to open STL/OBJ files directly.
- Restored weather stations, temperature graphs, and wind rose charts to the Set Location dialog.
- Enhanced Group bounding boxes to align with the orientation of the Group’s local coordinate system, and enhanced Non-Uniform Scale to align its grips to the parent Group’s coordinate system.
- Improved interface and usability of BIM 360 Docs dialogs.
- Improved BIM 360 Docs messaging accuracy and consistency with other FormIt platforms.
- Improved the handling of units when importing or exporting OBJ and STL files.
- Fixed an issue where importing satellite imagery could result in a blank image when Bing Maps didn’t have data for that zoom level.
- FormIt will now automatically zoom out to the next available zoom level, and will provide a message when this condition is encountered.
- Fixed an issue where importing an OBJ file with many triangles could result in incorrect shadows.
- Fixed an issue where embedded color information in OBJ files was ignored.
- Fixed an issue where placing a single Group from the Content Library would not use the Group’s LCS origin as the placement point.
- Fixed an issue where faces could fail to highlight when selected inside a mirrored Group.
- Fixed an issue where faces would fail to highlight in other identical instances of the Group being edited.
- Fixed an issue where faces would fail to highlight when selected as part of a guided selection tool, like Shell Solids and Offset Solids.
- Fixed an issue where Drag Face (extrude) or Move operations on a solid with flipped faces could result in the solid unexpectedly disappearing.
- This also generally improves auto-repair for solids with flipped faces, when using Drag Face or Move.
- Fixed an issue where moving a Mesh containing only edges resulted in the original location drawn unexpectedly while the Move tool was active.
- Fixed an issue where moving a circle resulted in the boundary curve being unexpectedly exploded into its constituent segments.
- Fixed an issue where extruding arcs, circles, and splines would result in the final geometry losing the original arc/circle/spline attribute unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue where splitting a solid with a cylinder attribute, then selecting one of the split pieces, would result in both pieces highlighting as one unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue where shortcuts would fail to work immediately after scaling an image.
March 19, 2019
- Fixed an issue where BIM 360 Docs accounts with many linked accounts or projects would be unable to scroll down in the picker to see all available accounts and projects.
- Fixed an issue where Export locally displayed an incorect dialog indicating the file would be overwritten, when it wouldn't be.
- Fixed an issue where the "Saving to BIM 360 Docs..." message was not displayed persistently while the upload was in progress.
- Improved the UI for elevation/orthographic views by consolidating them into one flyout menu.
February 20, 2019
- Significantly improved app loading time, especially when the app was run previously in the browser and a cache from the previous session exists.
- A new geometry type: Meshes. Meshes are great for improving performance of high-polygon entourage like furniture, trees, people, and signage, as well as complex DWG files. Objects can be converted to Meshes and back with no data loss. Also added Meshes to the Selection Filter menu.
- Added orthographic elevation views: view your FormIt model in 2D orthographic elevation, and combine with Section Planes to enable section-elevations.
- Added a Non-Uniform Scale tool.
- Added support for standalone vertices, and added Vertices to the Selection Filter menu.
- Added the ability to use Tab to pre-select edge loops on 3D shapes. Learn more about Smart Selection.
- Added an interactive Sun Editor to visualize the sun's position in the sky.
- Switched to BIM 360 Docs for cloud file hosting, which enables Open/Save/Export operations to multiple BIM 360 Docs accounts and projects.
- Learn about this change and how to download your data from A360 Drive.
- Switched to Bing Maps for Location and Satellite Imagery services.
- Thanks to this change, Satellite Imagery will no longer be excluded when exporting images from FormIt.
- Migrated Materials, Collaboration, Energy Analysis, and login services to new Autodesk servers to improve security and stability.
- Improved the Energy Analysis service, and fixed an issue where running Energy Analysis twice on the same file name would fail.
- Improved performance in large files, especially during continuous operations (Move, Rotate, Extrude, Scale...) and while editing Groups.
- Improved performance of Undo/Redo operations in large models.
- Improved performance of Extrude Edges by previewing the result instead of applying the result in real-time.
- Fixed issues that would prevent FormIt models from opening in some scenarios.
- Fixed a crash when multi-extruding faces that resulted in a deleted mass.
- Fixed a crash when quick-copying geometry using Move + Ctrl in certain cases.
- Improved model lighting calculations, so models should appear slightly brighter, shadows are more accurate, and in the case of imported SketchUp files, ambient lighting should match the original file more closely.
- Fixed an issue where shadows would not render correctly on the ground plane for certain models, especially those originating from SketchUp.
- Fixed an issue that would result in shadows not displaying correctly for objects far away from the origin.
- Fixed an issue where faces would not split as expected in some scenarios, including when offsetting a face and importing certain SketchUp models.
- Fixed an issue where Shell Solid would result in unexpected geometry when the original solid had split faces painted with different Materials.
- Fixed an issue where skewed geometry in SketchUp wouldn't convert correctly to FormIt.
- Fixed an issue where using Cut Geometry to split a solid into two would result in two solids, but the selection tool would still treat them as one solid.
- Fixed an issue where Levels could not be applied to masses in certain conditions.
- Fixed an issue where Ungroup would result in an "Exception caught" error in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where Copy and Paste/Paste in Place would occasionally fail when copying Materials between different windows of FormIt.
- Fixed an issue where the dimension readout would be misaligned with the gap in the leader lines.
April 2, 2018
- Fixed an issue preventing files from saving in specific cases
- Fixed an issue where Ungroup All would fail in specific cases
January 31, 2018
- Improved support for modeling using millimeters
- Improved support for customers using Metric units, including using the browser locale to determine the default Units setting
- Improved reliability of tools when modeling far away from the origin, including:
- Improved accuracy of area/window selection
- Improved functionality of the Spline tool, by removing the limitation that required Splines to be planar
- Added a Flatten Faces tool
- Fixed an issue where decimals were unexpectedly rounded in Scale and Scale Face tools
- Fixed an issue where using high-res images for Materials could result in a silent crash
- Fixed an issue where, after creating or importing a new Material, the Materials Palette failed to switch to the In-Sketch tab
- Fixed an issue where adding too many Layers or Scenes resulted in the Project Bar getting pushed off screen
- Fixed an issue where ESC didn't cancel the dimension dialog box
- Fixed an issue where some materials from the Material Library had incorrect reflection values set
- Fixed an issue where shadows would fail to draw for Groups that were mirrored or rotated such that they were upside-down
- Fixed an issue where placing primitive shapes inside a rotated Group didn't align with the Group LCS as expected
- Fixed an issue where importing via Content Library fails to show Materials in the Materials Palette as expected
- Fixed missing cursor icon for Swivel
- Fixed an issue where Tilt Face and Rotate UI was reversed inside a mirrored Group
September 8, 2017
- Global Undo/Redo
- When editing the Main Sketch (not inside a Group), Undo/Redo now works globally and chronologically, so the last change will always be affected, even if that change happened inside a Group
- When editing a Group, Undo/Redo is still per-Group as before
- Fixed an issue where using unsupported image types as Material Bump/Cutout maps would result in a crash
- Fixed an issue where canceling the Open dialog could result in a silent crash
- Improved the Orbit algorithm to be more consistent, especially with selections that are behind (or partially behind) the camera
- Fixed an issue where Spacebar unexpectedly scrolled the Project Bar at the top away from view in Firefox
- Fixed an issue where importing Images in Web could bloat the AXM file size unexpectedly
- Fixed an issue where dragging 'n dropping an image onto the canvas didn't create a Material
- Fixed an issue where importing the same file multiple times, or using the same image multiple times as a Material map, would result in nothing new drawn on the screen
- Fixed an issue where canceling insert from Content Library prevented insert of the same object the next time
- Fixed an issue where inserting from Content Library during Collaboration wouldn't draw the inserted geometry for other collaborators
- When importing a model (via File > Import or Content Library) that contains Section Planes, the Planes are now discarded to avoid potential issues
- Fixed an issue where 3D offset/shell tools may have unexpected results when the solid has a void
- Fixed an issue where opening a file Saved with History doesn't restore the histories properly
April 20, 2017
- Materials are now organized as a flat list, and update the entire model at once– no longer organized per group
- Material edits are reflected live in-canvas for more holistic editing
- Edit Material dialog is movable and Material edits appear live in the canvas
- New Material tools
- Eyedropper (Ctrl toggle in Paintbrush tool)
- Select All Painted With This Material
- New Material interactions:
- Single-click thumbnail to Paint selection or launch Paintbrush
- Double-click thumbnail to launch Editor
- Material names are editable from the Material list
- New helpful indicators in Materials canvas
- Which Material is loaded in the Paintbrush
- Which Material is used in the current in-canvas selection
- Performance improvements with:
- File Open/Import
- Model navigation
- Group edit/exit
- Layer toggling
- Group navigation
- Exiting Group Edit Mode returns you to the Parent Group, not the Main Sketch
- Group Edit Toolbar
- Single click in space
- Group hide/isolate
- Hide elements outside of the currently edited Group
- Tapping Ctrl key during Move makes a quick copy (no need to press and hold Ctrl key)
- Works also with Edges and Faces
- Ability to turn off the Ground Plane
- Materials now translate to your Autodesk Revit models using the new FormIt Converter add-in for Revit 2018