FormIt for Web
You'll need an updated version of Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge (Chromium), or Mozilla Firefox to run FormIt Web.
Other browsers that support WebGL (such as Safari on Mac OS) may work, but are not officially supported.
October 6, 2020
- Improved performance of navigation, selection, inferencing, editing, and Group operations in large models.
- BIM 360 Docs
- Added the ability to view and toggle FormIt layers in the BIM 360 Docs model viewer.
- Added support for project and folder permission levels.
- Location + Terrain
- When setting Location and importing satellite imagery, terrain data is now included.
- The Set Location dialog is now powered by a FormIt plugin, featuring updated interface elements and a resizable, movable window.
- Added support for applying Levels to Meshes, and seeing updated area readouts when Meshes have Levels applied.
- Added automatic flattening of nearly-planar surfaces when converting from a Mesh to a Body.
- Added the ability to rotate, scale, and mirror materials on curved surfaces without introducing seams between faces.
- Added the ability to specify the chord length dimension when drawing 3-point Arcs.
- Improved reliability of tool grips.
- Added "hover snapping" and "hover inferencing" to reveal vertices, midpoints, and centroids when hovering over edges and faces.
- Improved graphics and reliability of generating inference lines when hovering over vertices for a couple of seconds.
- Improved ease and reliability of generating an inference to an arc or circle centerpoint when hovering over an arc or circle.
- Imported images, satellite imagery, and terrain are now automatically placed on their own Layers.
- Improved the reliability of cursor icons across tools, ensuring the current tool is represented via the cursor icon.
- Added the ability to write plugins using ES6 syntax, when using async/await.
- Improved the styling on the frame around dialog-based modal/modeless plugins.
- Added support for versioning in FormIt Web.
- Fixed an application hang when opening certain models.
- Fixed an issue where painting a standalone face with a transparent material would result in the boundary edges becoming invisible.
- Note that models with standalone surfaces painted with transparent materials may show border edges after this update. Smooth the edges to hide them properly.
- Fixed an issue where painting a Mesh with a transparent material would result in its edges becoming invisible (note that edges behind the transparent faces will still not display due to OpenGL limitations).
- Fixed an issue where painting certain Sample materials would cause the Materials panel to go blank unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue where painting an extruded curved surface could result in the texture appearing mirrored in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where painting a material on a curved surface generated using Fillet would result in seams between faces.
- Fixed an issue where extrude/Drag Face on multiple faces simultaneously would result in non-manifold geometry in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where exporting as .sat would create a bad file that wouldn't open in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where exporting a mirrored Group as .sat would result in the mirrored geometry being inside-out.
- Fixed an issue where deleting a shared vertex would cause validity problems in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where scaling a standalone face and its connected geometry would create bad results in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where scaling a standalone face would result in over-scaled geometry.
- Fixed an issue where offsetting a face could result in unexpected geometry in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where right-clicking while Move or Drag Face is active could put the tool and its graphics in a bad state.
- Fixed an issue where the Zoom tool might not move the camera when the camera plane is coincident with other geometry.
- Plugins: Fixed an issue where the Plugin Manager and other plugins would occasionally appear blank with an error in the console.
- Plugins: Fixed an issue where the Plugin Manager would display incorrectly in Mozilla Firefox.
July 22, 2020
- Added dozens of new materials, and improved hundreds of others, in the Material Library offerings.
- Improved the 3D preview quality when importing materials, by significantly reducing the brightness.
- Added the ability to navigate to the base folder in a BIM 360 Docs project, in the BIM 360 Docs Gallery and the BIM 360 Docs Content Library.
- Removed the automatic creation of the "FormIt" folder when accessing BIM 360 Docs.
- Fixed an issue where saving to BIM 360 Docs would fail when the Project Files folder was renamed or in a non-English language.
- Fixed an issue where edges that should have been hidden behind a surface would display on top of the surface Orthographic Camera mode.
- Fixed an issue where selecting images would fail when other images were on hidden Layers.
- Fixed an issue where the Content Library would not collapse related AXMF content from the same Revit family into a single thumbnail.
- Fixed an issue where tooltips were missing when hovering over files in the BIM 360 Docs Content Library.
- Fixed an issue where the search bar in the Material Library dialog was missing.
- Fixed an issue where Ctrl + Shift + V would paste multiple copies when the keys were held down.
- Fixed an issue where plugin developers could only subscribe to one FormIt message at a time.
April 29, 2020
- Fixed an issue where Redo could fail in Group Edit Mode.
- Fixed an issue where the Layers panel would incorrectly indicate selected geometry was on "No Layer" when a Layer was actually assigned.
- Fixed an issue where Materials with cutout maps would fail to import from the Import Material Library dialog.
- Fixed an issue where the Content Library would fail to display FormIt thumbnails for a linked local library.
- Fixed an issue where entering large dimensions in mm and cm units would unexpectedly display the entered number without the correct amount of zeroes, in certain language and region settings.
- Fixed an issue where the Ground Plane could partially disappear in Group Edit mode.
- Fixed an issue where the Group Work Plane would Z-fight with the Ground Plane in Group Edit Mode.
April 7, 2020
- Reorganized and improved the offerings in the Material Library.
- Improved the results when painting Materials with textures onto a surface with smooth edges between facets.
- BIM 360 Docs
- Added support for BIM 360 Docs in the Content Library.
- Account and Project lists are now alphabetically sorted.
- Added a new green Success message when files are successfully uploaded to BIM 360 Docs.
- The Plugin Manager and all FormIt plugins are now available on FormIt Web.
- Added the ability to toggle to Orthographic Camera. Learn more.
- Improved the Content Library interface for clarity and consistency with Windows.
- Entering dimensions no longer requires the Tab key.
- Section Planes are now excluded when exporting to non-FormIt file types.
- Added the ability to disable and change the color of the Group Work Plane in Visual Styles.
- Added a message when export settings would result in no geometry saved to a file.
- Materials in different Groups now share bitmap data, which reduces FormIt file sizes dramatically and generally improves performance.
- Note: files saved in FormIt 2021 (v19.0) but opened in a previous version of FormIt, or converted to Revit using an outdated Add-In, will not display or convert Materials correctly due to this change. Learn more.
- Fixed an issue where the drop-down interface to set a Group's category was disabled unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue where Tilt Face would stop correctly displaying and accepting numeric inputs when the widget's orientation was flipped.
- Fixed an issue where a Material cutout map would be ignored in the composite thumbnail.
- This fix works for new Materials, or after modifying existing Materials which will refresh and fix the thumbnail.
- Fixed an issue where Flatten would flip surfaces unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue where zooming or panning could get stuck and exhibit no camera movement in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where Merge was using a different tolerance than expected, failing to merge edges in some cases.
- Fixed issues with highlight behavior when selecting filtered geometry for Advanced Modeling Tools.
- Fixed an issue where disabling or enabling Pre-Selection Highlight would not update the canvas until the camera moved.
- Fixed an issue where selecting faces in Groups would fail to highlight in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where highlighting of identical Group instances would disappear on camera change.
- Fixed an issue where hitting Enter in the BIM 360 Docs Save/Export gallery dialog file name field would not execute the save.
- Fixed an issue where invalid characters in the BIM 360 Docs Save/Export gallery dialog were not handled gracefully.
- Fixed an issue where long hub or project names could cause BIM 360 Docs interface elements to collide or go out-of-bounds.
- Fixed an issue where trying to save over a locked file on BIM 360 Docs would result in an unclear message.
- The search bar in the Material Library dialog has been temporarily disabled. We'll restore this soon.
- The Layers panel may incorrectly indicate "No Layer" for geometry that has a Layer assigned. This will be fixed soon.
- The BIM 360 Docs Content Library will incorrectly suggest adding certain file types, which are not supported. These file types will be supported in a future release.
- The Group Work Plane may exhibit Z-fighting in some cases, including when in Orthographic Camera mode. This will be fixed in a future release.
- Edges may show through surfaces unexpectedly in Orthographic Camera mode. This will be fixed in a future release.
January 16, 2020
- Fixed an issue where FormIt could stop responding when editing a Group containing geometry that extends far into the horizon.
- Fixed an issue where importing an image would fail.
- Fixed an issue where some Materials would import with an invalid scale, causing a black appearance unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue where Follow Camera and Remove Guest icons failed to display in the Collaboration panel.
- Improved reliability of opening and saving files across BIM 360 Docs accounts and projects in the same session.
- Fixed an issue where space characters would fail to display in the BIM 360 Docs save/export dialog.
- Fixed an issue where exporting an image to BIM 360 Docs would create an invalid image file.
- Fixed an issue where BIM 360 Docs thumbnails could appear as if no geometry was present in the model.
October 30, 2019
- Added the ability to model using smaller units: millimeters, centimeters, and inches.
- Added an interactive tool to adjust the position of materials on surfaces.
- Added a tool to align the camera to the selected face.
- Improved the connection to BIM 360 Docs, including:
- Added thumbnails to the in-app BIM 360 Docs gallery view.
- Added the ability to view FormIt models in the BIM 360 Document Management view.
- Added the ability to import files from BIM 360 Docs.
- Added the ability to navigate nested folders when opening, importing, saving, and exporting to BIM 360 Docs.
- When editing a BIM 360 Docs file, the File menu file list and the application title bar now display a BIM 360 Docs project path.
- Improved the reliability and behavior of the BIM 360 Docs account/project picker interface.
- Improved the Set Location experience, including:
- Added the ability to set the language for map labels.
- Satellite imagery is now saved to the FormIt file, and will no longer require an internet connection to be reloaded when the file is opened.
- Navigating manually to a location and clicking “Import Image” in the Set Location dialog will no longer reset the location pin unexpectedly.
- Importing a satellite image again will now keep the image in the correct position relative to the origin, rather than resetting the position unexpectedly.
- FormIt now interprets a “best match” address when importing satellite imagery without explicitly specifying an address.
- Added animated camera transitions between views and tools like 3D View, Align Camera to Face, Zoom All, and Zoom Selected.
- Zoom All and Zoom Extents now respond accordingly when geometry outside the active Group is hidden.
- Double-clicking on the middle mouse button with geometry selected now uses Zoom Selected instead of Zoom Extents.
- Vastly improved performance when deleting Layers, and when undoing or redoing Layer deletion.
- Fixed an issue where Redo from the Main Sketch would redo operations in the wrong order in some scenarios.
- Fixed an issue where Undo/Redo would unexpectedly affect operations in deleted Groups.
- Fixed an issue where copying and pasting geometry between FormIt sessions could result in the pasted Layers being unexpectedly hidden.
- Fixed an issue where Zoom All or Zoom Selection failed when editing a Group with the context hidden.
- Fixed an issue where Orbit would move the camera in an unexpected path in some scenarios.
- Fixed an issue where the Circle tool would unexpectedly change orientation when the radius was edited in some scenarios.
- Fixed an issue where quick-copying multiple times using the Ctrl key in the Rotate tool could fail or exhibit unexpected behavior.
- Fixed an issue where placing primitive shapes and Content Library objects would exhibit unexpected orientations when the target destination had a custom workplane.
- Fixed an issue where faces would fail to highlight inside a Group when the entire solid body was selected.
- Fixed an issue where Bing Maps would occasionally return an invalid zoom value, causing the Set Location dialog to stop working.
- Fixed an issue where charts and graphs in the Set Location dialog didn’t use the same units as the sketch.
- Fixed an issue where some tool widgets didn’t respond correctly to a cursor hover state.
- Fixed an issue where the cursor icon would fail to update in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where silhouette edges would fail to draw, or would draw in the wrong location, when entering and exiting Group Edit mode.
August 27, 2019
- Fixed an issue where hidden Layers may become unexpectedly visible during modeling.
- Fixed an issue preventing location and satellite imagery workflows in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where entering or exiting Group Edit mode would unexpectedly trigger an "unsaved changes" dialog on app exit.
- Fixed an issue where tooltips failed to display on the context menu.
June 13, 2019
- Added thumbnails to the BIM 360 Docs Gallery.
- Added the ability to adjust more Visual Styles, including ambient brightness, contrast, shadow intensity, and sky/ground plane colors.
- Added the ability to open STL/OBJ files directly.
- Restored weather stations, temperature graphs, and wind rose charts to the Set Location dialog.
- Enhanced Group bounding boxes to align with the orientation of the Group’s local coordinate system, and enhanced Non-Uniform Scale to align its grips to the parent Group’s coordinate system.
- Improved interface and usability of BIM 360 Docs dialogs.
- Improved BIM 360 Docs messaging accuracy and consistency with other FormIt platforms.
- Improved the handling of units when importing or exporting OBJ and STL files.
- Fixed an issue where importing satellite imagery could result in a blank image when Bing Maps didn’t have data for that zoom level.
- FormIt will now automatically zoom out to the next available zoom level, and will provide a message when this condition is encountered.
- Fixed an issue where importing an OBJ file with many triangles could result in incorrect shadows.
- Fixed an issue where embedded color information in OBJ files was ignored.
- Fixed an issue where placing a single Group from the Content Library would not use the Group’s LCS origin as the placement point.
- Fixed an issue where faces could fail to highlight when selected inside a mirrored Group.
- Fixed an issue where faces would fail to highlight in other identical instances of the Group being edited.
- Fixed an issue where faces would fail to highlight when selected as part of a guided selection tool, like Shell Solids and Offset Solids.
- Fixed an issue where Drag Face (extrude) or Move operations on a solid with flipped faces could result in the solid unexpectedly disappearing.
- This also generally improves auto-repair for solids with flipped faces, when using Drag Face or Move.
- Fixed an issue where moving a Mesh containing only edges resulted in the original location drawn unexpectedly while the Move tool was active.
- Fixed an issue where moving a circle resulted in the boundary curve being unexpectedly exploded into its constituent segments.
- Fixed an issue where extruding arcs, circles, and splines would result in the final geometry losing the original arc/circle/spline attribute unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue where splitting a solid with a cylinder attribute, then selecting one of the split pieces, would result in both pieces highlighting as one unexpectedly.
- Fixed an issue where shortcuts would fail to work immediately after scaling an image.
March 19, 2019
- Fixed an issue where BIM 360 Docs accounts with many linked accounts or projects would be unable to scroll down in the picker to see all available accounts and projects.
- Fixed an issue where Export locally displayed an incorect dialog indicating the file would be overwritten, when it wouldn't be.
- Fixed an issue where the "Saving to BIM 360 Docs..." message was not displayed persistently while the upload was in progress.
- Improved the UI for elevation/orthographic views by consolidating them into one flyout menu.
February 20, 2019
- Significantly improved app loading time, especially when the app was run previously in the browser and a cache from the previous session exists.
- A new geometry type: Meshes. Meshes are great for improving performance of high-polygon entourage like furniture, trees, people, and signage, as well as complex DWG files. Objects can be converted to Meshes and back with no data loss. Also added Meshes to the Selection Filter menu.
- Added orthographic elevation views: view your FormIt model in 2D orthographic elevation, and combine with Section Planes to enable section-elevations.
- Added a Non-Uniform Scale tool.
- Added support for standalone vertices, and added Vertices to the Selection Filter menu.
- Added the ability to use Tab to pre-select edge loops on 3D shapes. Learn more about Smart Selection.
- Added an interactive Sun Editor to visualize the sun's position in the sky.
- Switched to BIM 360 Docs for cloud file hosting, which enables Open/Save/Export operations to multiple BIM 360 Docs accounts and projects.
- Learn about this change and how to download your data from A360 Drive.
- Switched to Bing Maps for Location and Satellite Imagery services.
- Thanks to this change, Satellite Imagery will no longer be excluded when exporting images from FormIt.
- Migrated Materials, Collaboration, Energy Analysis, and login services to new Autodesk servers to improve security and stability.
- Improved the Energy Analysis service, and fixed an issue where running Energy Analysis twice on the same file name would fail.
- Improved performance in large files, especially during continuous operations (Move, Rotate, Extrude, Scale...) and while editing Groups.
- Improved performance of Undo/Redo operations in large models.
- Improved performance of Extrude Edges by previewing the result instead of applying the result in real-time.
- Fixed issues that would prevent FormIt models from opening in some scenarios.
- Fixed a crash when multi-extruding faces that resulted in a deleted mass.
- Fixed a crash when quick-copying geometry using Move + Ctrl in certain cases.
- Improved model lighting calculations, so models should appear slightly brighter, shadows are more accurate, and in the case of imported SketchUp files, ambient lighting should match the original file more closely.
- Fixed an issue where shadows would not render correctly on the ground plane for certain models, especially those originating from SketchUp.
- Fixed an issue that would result in shadows not displaying correctly for objects far away from the origin.
- Fixed an issue where faces would not split as expected in some scenarios, including when offsetting a face and importing certain SketchUp models.
- Fixed an issue where Shell Solid would result in unexpected geometry when the original solid had split faces painted with different Materials.
- Fixed an issue where skewed geometry in SketchUp wouldn't convert correctly to FormIt.
- Fixed an issue where using Cut Geometry to split a solid into two would result in two solids, but the selection tool would still treat them as one solid.
- Fixed an issue where Levels could not be applied to masses in certain conditions.
- Fixed an issue where Ungroup would result in an "Exception caught" error in some cases.
- Fixed an issue where Copy and Paste/Paste in Place would occasionally fail when copying Materials between different windows of FormIt.
- Fixed an issue where the dimension readout would be misaligned with the gap in the leader lines.
April 2, 2018
- Fixed an issue preventing files from saving in specific cases
- Fixed an issue where Ungroup All would fail in specific cases
January 31, 2018
- Improved support for modeling using millimeters
- Improved support for customers using Metric units, including using the browser locale to determine the default Units setting
- Improved reliability of tools when modeling far away from the origin, including:
- Improved accuracy of area/window selection
- Improved functionality of the Spline tool, by removing the limitation that required Splines to be planar
- Added a Flatten Faces tool
- Fixed an issue where decimals were unexpectedly rounded in Scale and Scale Face tools
- Fixed an issue where using high-res images for Materials could result in a silent crash
- Fixed an issue where, after creating or importing a new Material, the Materials Palette failed to switch to the In-Sketch tab
- Fixed an issue where adding too many Layers or Scenes resulted in the Project Bar getting pushed off screen
- Fixed an issue where ESC didn't cancel the dimension dialog box
- Fixed an issue where some materials from the Material Library had incorrect reflection values set
- Fixed an issue where shadows would fail to draw for Groups that were mirrored or rotated such that they were upside-down
- Fixed an issue where placing primitive shapes inside a rotated Group didn't align with the Group LCS as expected
- Fixed an issue where importing via Content Library fails to show Materials in the Materials Palette as expected
- Fixed missing cursor icon for Swivel
- Fixed an issue where Tilt Face and Rotate UI was reversed inside a mirrored Group
September 8, 2017
- Global Undo/Redo
- When editing the Main Sketch (not inside a Group), Undo/Redo now works globally and chronologically, so the last change will always be affected, even if that change happened inside a Group
- When editing a Group, Undo/Redo is still per-Group as before
- Fixed an issue where using unsupported image types as Material Bump/Cutout maps would result in a crash
- Fixed an issue where canceling the Open dialog could result in a silent crash
- Improved the Orbit algorithm to be more consistent, especially with selections that are behind (or partially behind) the camera
- Fixed an issue where Spacebar unexpectedly scrolled the Project Bar at the top away from view in Firefox
- Fixed an issue where importing Images in Web could bloat the AXM file size unexpectedly
- Fixed an issue where dragging 'n dropping an image onto the canvas didn't create a Material
- Fixed an issue where importing the same file multiple times, or using the same image multiple times as a Material map, would result in nothing new drawn on the screen
- Fixed an issue where canceling insert from Content Library prevented insert of the same object the next time
- Fixed an issue where inserting from Content Library during Collaboration wouldn't draw the inserted geometry for other collaborators
- When importing a model (via File > Import or Content Library) that contains Section Planes, the Planes are now discarded to avoid potential issues
- Fixed an issue where 3D offset/shell tools may have unexpected results when the solid has a void
- Fixed an issue where opening a file Saved with History doesn't restore the histories properly
April 20, 2017
- Materials are now organized as a flat list, and update the entire model at once– no longer organized per group
- Material edits are reflected live in-canvas for more holistic editing
- Edit Material dialog is movable and Material edits appear live in the canvas
- New Material tools
- Eyedropper (Ctrl toggle in Paintbrush tool)
- Select All Painted With This Material
- New Material interactions:
- Which Material is loaded in the Paintbrush
- Which Material is used in the current in-canvas selection
- Single-click thumbnail to Paint selection or launch Paintbrush
- Double-click thumbnail to launch Editor
- Material names are editable from the Material list
- New helpful indicators in Materials canvas
- Performance improvements with:
- File Open/Import
- Model navigation
- Group edit/exit
- Layer toggling
- Group navigation
- Group Edit Toolbar
- Single click in space
- Exiting Group Edit Mode returns you to the Parent Group, not the Main Sketch
- Group hide/isolate
- Hide elements outside of the currently edited Group
- Tapping Ctrl key during Move makes a quick copy (no need to press and hold Ctrl key)
- Works also with Edges and Faces
- Ability to turn off the Ground Plane
- Materials now translate to your Autodesk Revit models using the new FormIt Converter add-in for Revit 2018